This is my ultimate comfort food. It felt fitting to share today.
Hi. Long time no see. These past few weeks have been overwhelming. Yellow Apron was started as an act of self care, so I never want to make this something stressful for myself. That being said, I think just about everyone is stressed and anxious these days, so it felt really important for me to share this recipe with you all today.
It's Election Day.
That in and of itself is stressful and anxiety inducing. If you live in the states are are eligible to vote, please get out there and vote today. Your voice matters. Your vote matters. I am including a link to vote.org that will help you find your polling place and it’s hours. As long as you get there before closing time, you have a right to vote!!
I stumbled upon this post by Sylvia Duckworth today and thought this summed things up pretty well. Get out and vote!!! Take of yourself and each other today, tomorrow, during these next few weeks and months, and everyday.
My mom makes this for me and my brother every time we come home. This meal is so comforting to me. I make it for my loved ones for cold winter days, for days when making a meal feels hard, for days when their attention needs to be elsewhere.
I hope everyone is giving themselves some grace these days. Take care of yourselves. Take care of your loved ones.
This recipe is pretty easy to throw together. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook noodles according to directions on the box and shred your cooked chicken.
In a 10 inch cast iron skillet, sauté onion in olive oil. Add in diced tomatoes and green chilies. Add colby jack cheese, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and salt, and stir until cheese is melted. Add cooked pasta and shredded chicken. Top with cheddar cheese.
Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
I hope you all are doing well. Take care of yourselves. Give yourselves some grace. Get out and vote if you haven’t already!!!
King Ranch Chicken Macaroni Skillet Casserole
- 1/2 box boxed macaroni noodles
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 can mild diced tomatoes and green chilies 10 oz
- 8 oz colby jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups chicken cooked and shredded
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook pasta according to directions on box. Drain and aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions until transluscent. Stir in tomatoes and green chilies. Add colby jack cheese, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and seasonings. Stir until combined and cheese is melted. Add hot cooked pasta and shredded chicken. Mix to combine. Spoon mixture into a prepared 10-inch cast iron skillet, or a 9x13 baking dish. Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.